Sunday, December 19, 2010

I failed...

The other evening, after a very long productive day at work, I deiced to make peanut brittle. The recipe seemed very simple. Cook lots of sugar add peanuts and turn onto a buttered cookie sheet.

I failed.

Apparently peanut brittle has a secret and I am not in the club.

The point of making this candy, was because it reminds me of home. A sweet man from my hometown used to make the sweet treat every Christmas and sell it at the local Mini-Mart. Then it got me thinking.. I made tons of homemade noodles for my first southern Thanksgiving because that is what I am used to for that particular holiday. I will also make my grandmother's orange rolls for Nativity and share them at the lunch I am attending. Now let's add some very chewy peanut brittle to the list.

It makes me wonder why I go through so much trouble to have the same comforts in my life here, in the mid-south, as I am used to back in the great state of Indiana. Then I go to such extremes and wonder why I am even in Memphis in the first place. I know I know.. I should slow it down a bit. But really, what makes people stay where they are born.. better yet what makes people not come back to what was their home?

I do not know the answer. But I hope being a bit homesick every now and then is normal otherwise I feel a bit silly.

Lord have mercy

1 comment:

  1. oh, sweet ashley. Make your noodles and your brittle and your orange rolls to comfort you when you are sad or missing the Hoosier state. However, do not think that you are not at home here in Memphis. You would leave a hole shouldst you go away, and I believe you would make all sorts of Southern recipes and such if you were away b/c you would realize that you would then be homesick for us!

    ReplyDelete