Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New year, Old traditions

Hello All! Happy New Year!

I hope and trust that everyone had a magical and wonderful holiday season. I myself was delighted by all the feasting and company that took place over the holidays. This was my first Southern Christmas, and well, it was delightful. Partly because of sweet Susan Cushman for inviting me over for Nativity, and partly because my wonderful Mother and Hurshel made a detour from Indiana to Memphis on their way to Florida for the winter.

I will remember this for nextyear.. rethink the real Christmas tree if I am still a single gal.. that was so funny to put up and take down.. If only y'all could be a fly on the wall for that memory I made. Next I want to remember to not put my
tree until later in the holiday season.. As an Orthodox Christian, we celebrate for the 12 days after Nativity, Christmas, with the holiday decor and all.. my sweet tree wouldn't of made it another week.. Noted for next year.

I believe I was 19, back in 2003, when the tradition started where I spend one day baking before Christmas. On Christmas eve I spent the morning baking these beauties..
Let me introduce to you Orange Rolls. My Grandmother would always make these delightful treats for every holiday occasion. I love them and was thankful that I could share them with my Southern friends.


I was going to post
the recipe, but my friend Claire suggested I didn't.. Oh no! was she giving me a hint?... I am going to say it is again to keep family traditions secret. I like that if you can't tell. I am a big one for making new traditions, That is something I feel like we don't have enough of in our society. Ok.. back to baking, I was able to make Hurshel some Snicker doodle cookies for Christmas again this year..
I think it was the same year when that tradition got started. This was a new recipe I used where it called for vegetable shorting.. it allows the outside of the treats to be a bit crispy, while the inside remains soft, it wasn't my favorite, but they were good none the less. I was also able to make Momma and Hurshel and a few other friends the perfect meal of Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes and home grown Indiana corn.. delish! If you need an excellent meatloaf recipe I suggest you try this one. It was about three years ago we started that traditional Christmas meal, I am so thankful we were able to carry it on.


Ok, as far as this sequence of photos.. they were gifts that I wanted to share with friends. And y'all know how much I love Indiana so what a better things to do than give them some Oliver Wine! I also tied a candy cane to the bottle.. I think it gave a bit of nice festive flair.

The Thursday before Nativity, I wrecked my kitchen and assembled the wine and also baked some spiced pecans, So delish! I found some holiday boxed to put them in and passed them out at our Nativity Feast. I tell you what, if I could buy presents for people all the time, I think I would.. Starting with my friend Janna, she would get a bento box.. Sorry that was a side note.

Ok, I can feel my coffee buzz wearing down and so is my attention span.. just a few more photos and we are golden
..
Well there you have it.. my sweet Southern holiday.. It was a good holiday. I am thankful for all my fabulous friends I was able to share the day with, and that I was able to see my mother and father for a few days. As we move into the new year, remember.. it is the little things in life that make the whole picture. Make sure your little moments matter. Much love all and Happy New Year.

Lord Have Mercy.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really tardy in saying this, but Cindy and I loved the pecans--thank you again!

    ReplyDelete