Thursday, July 29, 2010

Do what you have to not what you want to... darn it.

The other day I realized that if I want to have basic things to live.. I need to go to the grocery store every now and then. Not just like once every 3 weeks. This is sad, you would think that a grown woman would know this, right? Or like the time I was out of coffee for 4 days and didn't do anything about it. Every morning I would go to make coffee and forget that I didn't have any. Then get mad at myself and at the people at my local coffee shop for not being so friendly.

Now most of you maybe wondering, just go to the darn store. It isn't rocket science here. You are right, it isn't. I remember, many moons ago, when I was a way younger than I am now, I ran a home and was responsible for making dinners, doing laundry, going to the grocery. I did it with pride. I wonder what happened? I was raised in central Indiana where women are trained to do this house work. I guess it was moving back in with my parents, living single after being attached for so long that broke these habits of mine. How long does it take for a habit to come back into someone's life? What steps do I need to take to get there.

One of the biggest lessons I have learned from the Orthodox church is to do, even when you don't feel like it. It will be good for your soul.
What does that mean?
How about I say my prayers when I don't want to.. or
Go to service.. when I really want to sleep in..
Fasting when all I want is a Chick-filet milkshake.
By practicing these things, they are good for my soul. I really find this completely amazing.

So to make the first thought connect with the last, I should really grow up. Take on life's responsibilities with joy. It may be good for my soul.. or at least my pocketbook and waistline.

Lord have mercy.

1 comment:

  1. Hi. Just now finding your blog... through David's blog, through a comment he left on mine:-) It will be fun to keep up here!

    ReplyDelete